Saturday, September 20, 2008

Fire on 48th



Sitting around my apartment today and strange smell permeated the room. I looked at Cara and asked if she smelled something too. As I was asking I thought it might be gas or something on fire.

I ran to the window and threw it open. I was right. The building on our corner (about 5 doors down) right above the infamous Nagi’s Deli (home to the cheese steak in Hell’s Kitchen) was a blaze. An instant state of panic overcame the 2 of us and we tried to figure out what to do. Quick moments of clarity; close the window, get dressed, grab wallet, keys, cell phone and camera. “Cara what are you supposed to do when you live in NYC and a building on your block catches fire?” I asked. “I don’t know, I don’t know,” she answered back.

I ran outside to asses the damage and danger. God bless the fine men and women of the NY Fire Department. These are the greatest firefighters on the planet. The blaze was already under control and 4 engines were already in place, hoses on, and rescues were happening. I cant say for sure, but I don’t think anyone was harmed. I only saw 5 or 6 people pulled from the building and they were fine. Once I was sure the fire wasn’t going to spread down the block, I went back inside breathing a sense of relief knowing that the fine folks of the FD of NY are here to protect and save us.

Check out some videos...

From Fire on 48th


From Fire on 48th


From Fire on 48th

Posted by Picasa

No comments: